Hagerstown Speedway celebrates 70 years of racing in 2017

An auto racing tradition began in the fall of 1946 when Stanley Schetrompf constructed a half-mile clay oval located between the banks of the Conococheague Creek and U.S. Route 40 just a few miles west of Hagerstown, Maryland.

In the spring of 1947, what was then known as the Conococheague Speedway opened the gates to the sounds of roaring engines that powered the roadsters and jalopy racers of those days some 70 years ago.

Since 1981, Frank Plessinger has owned the Hagerstown Speedway, and transformed the track into a modern showplace that is on par with some of the finest dirt track facilities in the United States. Read more